BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Another "Quick" Post - The Duran Duran Issue

Hi,

Okay, I have nothing else to do, and this is what's been on my mind recently, so I'm talking about this.

Duran Duran. Who? What? Where? When? Why? How? Duran Duran are an 80s synthpop band. And, in my eyes, a pretty good one. I seriously believe Hungry Like The Wolf is one of the best non-Killers songs of all time. No joke. It's such a "sing-a-long" song, and, simple as it is, I'm loving the guitar. The Reflex is also a simple song, and very good. DD(hehe) just seem to be one of those English synthy bands from the 80s. Being totally stupidly obsessed with that kind of music, I think they're good. Definantly not as good as other bands of the vague genre(PET SHOP BOYS <333),>but still. But, since "getting into" music, I've heard so much Duran Duran bad-mouthing going on...Which I don't understand. Between TV, online, music magazines and the like...It's like ACC and The Jonas Brothers. Really, I think they should have at least earned a little more respect than that, don't you? I even saw somewhere label Simon as "seriously uncool". That was, I think, in The Word. I like The Word. I have nothing bad to say about The Word, but that was uncalled for. Duran Duran did a great deal for the music industry, I think. And label them as you will as the typical "high school girl" band, no high school girl band can continue for as long as they can, don't you think? The Jonas Brothers will be gone in a couple of years. Duran Duran will be here to stay. I don't know if they were eating off the sucsses of other bands of the time...But anyway. Duran Duran are a good band. Get over it. It's stupid to be one of those people were remembers the time, when Duran Duran were big, and now see some memorabillia and cringe.

I suppose this goes with another one of those oh-so-negative teenage stereotypes. Those, I can't stand. And people wonder why people want to be emo, or rebel, or anything...My best bet would simply be that they don't want to fit into the typical teenage stereotype. Emo doesn't do a lot for that, but it's more unique than a lot of the teenage behaviour you see around at the moment. Maybe being angsty was more of a 90s teenage thing. And, let's face it, especially when it comes to highschool girls, there's a big stereotype. And fangirls.

Everyone hates fangirls. Just think "fangirl", and( if you know me) you'll see me rambling on about Brandon, or(if you don't know me) you'll see some movie star being chased down the street by a flock of UGG-wearing high school girls. At least, that's what I see. What's wrong with being a fangirl? Stereotypically, the difference from being a female fan, and being a "fan girl" is being absolutely rabidly in love with a member of the band/singer/movie star/character/ whatever....Which, I don't see as too negative. As I see it, there's many pros to being "obsessed" with a celebrity. And, yes, I know this rant is very biased. But, many would argue it's better to be interested in guys/girls your own age...But, that can be hard. Like, if you're obsessed with a celeb, you don't see the guy you like everyday with someone else. Certainly, Brandon is married and all(DIE TANA DIE), but I don't think about that everyday. At least, I try not to. And, if you're a good fan, you don't just like whoever for their appearance...Which is why everyone hates fangirls. Not true. Why would you do that? I don't see any reason at all. To outsides, us fangirls are a different species, but we're not quite that pathetic...Can we help who we "fall for"? Not just physically.

The reason I posted that paragraph is because Duran Duran seemed to be prone to fangirls. A while back I watched a "Best Songs of the 80s" on TV, and when Duran Duran appeared, I believe someone said "When this song came out, there was not a single high school girl who wasn't obsessed with at least one member of Duran Duran". So, fangirls+band means there's gonna be hating...Like, The Jonas Brothers. Do I like The Jonas Brothers? Of course not. And I mean, I disliked them long before it was uncool to like them. But, their fangirls give them a bad reputation.

We don't judge bands by just their music. Even if you say you don't, you do. We avoid certain genres of music.(Even I am prone to this. But, I'm trying to improve. Don't deny it! And don't be one of those people to say "I listen to just about anything" because anyone with a brain knows you don't.) We judge musicians based on race, age, lyrics, history, even what they say about anyone else. Of course, we shouldn't, but we do. It's never about just the celebrities' career! And, Duran Duran seem to be a band who got the "short straw" when it comes to non-musical judgement. Ranging from fanbase to musical genre(I'e heard this sort of pop music be considered "female music" several times before).

This post isn't trying to say something. Not about fangirling, or teenage behavior, or even by how harshly we judge musicians(Though this is a problem. Musicians' careers have been ruined based on their personal lives). It's just...me expressing. Something I feel I should have the freedom to do so, in such a chaotic, confusing fashion in this blog at least. I'm just fed up with the comments I've heard about this band.

In other news, school started yesterday. I'll talk about that another time, but I had my Spanish thing today. Also, I'm really hyped up about this music festival in the summer. Explain later.

Bye!