BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stereotypes Suck. These Ones Do, At Least.

Hello,

Okay, first off, I'd like to declare Franz Ferdinand as our winner of our poll! I decided to close, it as it wasn't going anywhere. I've opened up a new poll, you have a week to vote! I've added quite a few answers, so I'll hopefully cover a lot of ground. I don't know if you can vote again or not, but If you can, feel free to do so. I'm pretty sure we all have an opinion on what I've posted.

Ah, stereotypes. There certainly is a lot I could say here. In most cases, I would give an epic rant about fake emo kids, and preppy Hollister girls. But for this rant, I'll talk only on English stereotypes, which I'm sick of hearing about. They're not true. Not to be offensive(In fact, don't be offended by anything said here!) but Americans are sort of stupid when it comes to anything outside their own country, it seems. I've decided to talk about a few specific things, that I get a lot of at school and around, that I'd like to "clear up", and talk about.

Accent. We don't all talk like the queen. I don't. In fact, very few people do speak like royalty nowadays. Believe it or not, there's more Englih accents than just one. Funny, huh? There's actually a lot. You don't have to be huge to have regional accents. It's not just the US, believe it or not. Most of the people I know speak with a "chav accent", basically the equivalant of talking like a gangster. It's generally considered not very intelligent, and there's a whole load of stereotypes that go with that. But actually, a decent ammount of those are true for the most part. When I was four, I decided I didn't want to talk like them, and I don't. I'm sort of odd like that. There's some other southern accents which I'm not too familiar with. And then there's northern accents. Most of which would leave most Americans saying "What the hell?" after they speak. Most of them sound nothing like the stereotypical English accent, actually. There's very few people who speak like you'd think.

Technology. Most people seem to think that England is stuck in the dark ages. We have the same technology as Americans do. So does most of the world. We've heard of everything Americans have. Do Americans think that being a small country leads to being excluded from the rest of the world? I get a lot of reminders of how America works by some kids at school, and it's annoying. Times have changed as much as yours' have. We're not stuck in the Dickensian times.

Appearance. English people do not have bad teeth. I do...Because I had some problem with my teeth when I was a kid. Quite frankly, Americans seems sort of obsessed with perfect teeth. A lot of the kids I see with braces looked like they didn't need braces in the first place. But, England does have orthodontists, and dentists, we just use braces and the like for, you know, kids that actually have unstraight teeth. Our teeth aren't all black from sugar. We dont dress all "proper" all the time. I hate dressing up. T-shirts and jeans for me, any day. The same goes for a lot of English kids. We don't always wear good pants, smart shirts, fancy dresses, or anything daily. We don't get dressed up any more than Americans do. We don't worship tartan. Besides, that's a confused stereotype. When you think that, you're actually thinking the Scottish. And, no, that's not true for them either. Basically, we look nothing like most people would think.

Music. This goes different ways for different people. Some would say we worship royal music, gospel, or opera. Others would say we worship The Beatles The Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd. Of course, incorrect. Some people do, and that goes for every country. England has done a lot for the music industry, and is continuing to do so. England has an amazing musical vibe at the moment, which is miles ahead of America. We have American bands, and we have English bands. I actually think there's more music in England than the US at the moment. Not to be offensive, but we seem more open minded. If you're American, how many English bands do you hear about a lot? According to two girls today, Coldplay and James Blunt. If you're English, how many American bands do you hear about a lot? We seem more "accepting" or "understanding" of foreign music, for the most part. And unlike people think, I've heard rap music. I've heard hiphop music. I've heard metal. I've heard country. We're not different, much, when it comes to music. I know loads of English kids who love Green Day and Linkin Park, which goes for a majority of American kids too. But we do have our own bands. We're relivin' the 80s at the moment, basically. Something the US isn't understanding at the moment, they're too wound up in their pop-pnk music, it seems.

TV/Movies/Books. We don't worship Harry Potter. We know Twilight. Certainly, I like Harry Potter. But just because it's an English-based book, doesn't mean I want to talk about it at every living moment. We don't worship old-English poets and authors who write in "olde English"(For the record, we don't write like that anymore), Shakespeare, for example. We have heard of Family Guy and The Simpsons. In fact, we get a lot of American TV over here, especially when it comes to Kids' TV. Also, some people some to think English people are obsessed with Simon Cowell. Is this because he's the only English guy you know? I actually don't like American Idol. And we started the whole "Something Idol" craze, not Americans. And, we ge the same movies. And that's it.

That's all I can think of right now. Oh yeah...We don't love tea. I hate tea, good ol' American Coke for me, any day. Which goes for most of the English youth, also. We don't spend all day eating crumpets, fish and chips or anything. I don't "love" the Queen. I'm not very patriotic about my country, either. We're way less patriotic than Americans! We're not all schollars, educated, or civilised or anything. Acording to my LA teacher, we can't handle swear words either, wrong, of course.

Basically, we're not what you think. I'm just writing this post because I'm so tired of hearing all of them all the time. This won't change anything, of course. Americans, and the rest of the world, will always see England this way, as a little, proper, polite, anti-American, quiet little country. Keep on thinking that, if you want, we know we're not like that at all.

No offence to anyone.

Until sometime,

2 comments:

Coco Juniper said...

personally, i think they're hilarious ^_^

uh, sorry

Julia said...

About bad teeth: have you eber seen Miley Cyrus' teeth ? You will cry when you see.

See ya !