BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, April 17, 2009

Hollister Girls Vs My English Teacher





^^^"Popular Mean Girls"...Sl*ttier than the girls at my school, but in a few years...That is what we're talking about.







Hey guys, I went back to school today...Yeah, for one day. It's cool. And we have Spring Break next week, which is also good. Unfortunatly, in conversation my mom told my sister's best friend's mom that we have nothing planned this week, so we'll have to spend every waking moment with their family(It always happens!)




Anyway, a lot can hapen when you miss two days of school. The first being the sudden appearance of the short-shorts and miniskirts(Though I suppose this'll be regular after this week). And the second being

...Well, when I got there everyone was really hyped up about sexism, stereotypes, generalisations, etc.




At first I wasn't sure why, but the first of it happened in Social Studies, when my teacher was accused of being "sexist" for choosing 13 girls and three boys for the trial we had on Wednesday. I don't know why that was claimed, since otherwise I've never seen anything sexist going on. If we're going to accuse a teacher of being sexist, she's the wrong choice...we should be choosing my math teacher(To quote "Adele" one day..."And she'll say "Girs, you're gonna be fine for the quiz", and then she'll say "Boys, you better study your hearts out").




And the discussions, of course, continued in LA, but the other way around. It was Hollister Girls vs My England teacher, about different things. So, all in all, each party was claiming sexism.




*point to give my oppinion on sexism* Yeah, there's sexism in school. But like every stereotype, they're human, and rootesd into us from an early age(Girl baby in pink, boy baby in blue. Girl plays with barbies, boy with Action Men etc.). It's not possible to live without being some what sexism, unless you're one of this rabid feminists(You say "Women can't...", and they will eat you. o.O). And we behave like this, and what can we expect? But, there are different variations of sexism. It doesn't 100% of the time sway one way, it varies. For example; For girls if she doesn't participate in group projects its somewhat worse, expected to be more social, expected to be really creative(Higher demands for projects?), expected to have better handwriting etc. For boys, expected to participate in gym, it's worse if a boy talks because for a girl it's "gossiping" and for a boy it's "messing around", doing worse stuff, etc.




Anyway, just as my social studies teacher isn't exactly sexist, neither is my English teacher. Yes, he plays on stereotypes and stuff, but I think it's funny as no one is brave enough to do that sort of stuff anymore. He likes to penalize the "popular girls" too, which is amazing. He even writes poems about them, and a few times when we come into his class and we're aloud to sit wherever we want, he'll say something along the lines of "Okay everyone sit down...That's right...Popular girls over there...Brainy girls over there...Jocks over there. ". xD It's funny, really. But all of a sudden the girls brought it up, saying they "didn't like it". So, my teacher explained why he behaved like this...





Unlike everyone thought, he had no previous history with "mean girls"...He was a jock, and had a girlfriend from 5th grade onward. He says he sees people going down the hallways each day, who are "bleeding from pain" of the things people are saying, and he does it to take these popular girls down a level, to make thwem feel slightly better." But the girls put up a good fight, and I'd like to point our my opinions on things said.





"But, that's a stereotype. We're not like that."





Is it really possible to be that blind? You dress the same, you act the same, you look the same, you have the same friends, you like the same things. Yeah, you fit into a stereotype. You may not all be the typical mean girl, but I can't believe you don't see that you are a stereotype. You act like that, how do yo expect us not to call you mean, etc?


"Teachers shouldn't get involved"


Yeah, we hate the social issues boot camps, but they must be doing something. My middle school is one of three in my town. We're basically in the middle of nowhere in the town, whereas the other two are in the center of the town...Now, I don't have friends there, but many people do. And, they talk about the stories that come from there. There, the teachers don't care, and in return, chaos happens. Teachers must be doing something, surely?

"It's labelling us, and we don't like it"

But it doesn't kill ya, does it? Yeah, I guess some of the less-popular might want some reassurance...It's not perfect, but it doesn't kill anyone.

"No one in the school is that mean"

That's actually very true...xD

Anyway, my memory of this convsersation is somewhat fading, as that was yesterday(Got tired writing yesterday), and this is today. But as I see it, this mild stereotyping isn't harming anyone. The girls that are being stereotyped aren't being hurt...Hey, what could hurt them? They have everything. Wardrobes(Yeah, plural) dedicated to perfect clothes, makeup, hair acsessories, perfume, every electronical item invented, and get to go out with friends every day. And, they complain? Hey, it's not always negative...Just, the negativity as a side-effect. It shows we recognise them as stereotypical perfect. It won't, in the long run, hurt them at all. They should live with it...They're nearly as whiny as I am, which is quite a feat.

Otherwise, not too much to say. I'm wearing my beloved Chowder t-shirt I got from Hot Topic a few weeks ago, for the first time toiday. We were supposed to do Dav'e birthday today, but Rachel was out and it got cancelled, permenantly. Oh well. This morning we went out to Target, to get my sister a Club Penguin membership card, and to get me iPod earphone things that work. Oh, and Izzes...I love these things. I haven't had them in forever; School is now getting cheap knock-off versions instead. The apple ones are good. <3>

Bye for now,

1 comments:

Lil' Dommy said...

Yea sorry couldn't come............my parents wake me up at 8am yesterdy and BAM! It hit htem.......I had to go to a ALL day barmiztvah.........in a dress (shudder) yea it wasn't super fun either