BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, June 19, 2009

I'm Saving Decent Blog Ideas For The Summer

The title is the reason of all these 'updates'. I at least did a few interesting posts a few months ago, but not anymore...

This week's been one of the craziest of the year so far. Yesterday, as I'd explained on Wednesday, was my "Celebration Of Learning". It was so much better than last year. The math, as I'd also explained, involved us showing our Walking Rated tri-folds. By "presenting", I do mean standing there staring at the minute hand on the clock while parents come in, hoping their child was there. The nice ones ask questions, but that's rare. Events like this are the most boring things to happen in school. Especially because my math teacher--Trying her best to be friendly, which isn't in her nature(Children or otherwise)--who wouldn't let us sit down. In LA we read poetry, and disappointingly, when people finished reading we clapped in stead of the arty clicking thing you're supposed to do at most poetry readings. Oh, and what I've learned from this is "I will shoot you if you write a poem about war". I hate people who obsess over peace, quite frankly. we watched a video on some of the projects of the year, with all but one video not working. We did our walk-A-Thon, and I'd improved from last year! I ended about...10th to last. Better than my "Last place by a mile" place last time. There was also this thing where select people got to throw "Pies" at the teachers, and in the afternoon we had a long recess.

First period today we had Social Studies, and we'd actually started a new section with a week to go...Well, better than Social Studies last year, where we did Ancient India in two weeks, and Ancient China in four days, because my teacher had spent months on Mesopotamia. Literally. We'd started Islam. I thought it was so interesting. Except when my teacher brought up the post-9/11 prejudice we have against these people, which turned into Nazi Germany, which turned into Japanese people-Pearl Harbor, which turned into "We shouldn't have judgements about anyone". As much as you say "Oh, I get to know people before passing judgement", it's completely human nature to do so. I don't think there's any way for us to stop.

We had about 3/4 of science next. We talked about the food chain, and energy, and watched a slide show made by my teacher. It was interrupted because we had to go to a Parade in the gym. My sister's school principal is leaving this year, and this is the sort of dragged-out, babyish "Good bye!" thing that elementary schools tend to do far too much. This was taking place in our gym, despite theirs being literally next door(Connected schools) and equal in size. My school sat on the bleachers, looking as if we wanted no association to the teachers in clown outfits holding up plastic signs that say "Applause", and "Shh...". Honestly, we didn't, even if 90% in my grade went there only a couple of years ago. The grades piled in, one at a time, holding signs and wearing weird headbands and whatnot. The 400 people in my school, plus the 600 in her's, plus teachers, plus parents, led to a very claustrophobic atmosphere. A couple of middle school classes did embarrassing performances, including 8th grade Spanish with the song we'd tried to learn, and failed at, on Wednesday. Then each grade did their own performances. They were the sort of things put together in 15 minutes, poorly-performed, with teachers kneeling a few feet forward acting out the movements, with more enthusias, than each of their students put together. Even my English teacher, sitting a few feet in front of me, couldn't disagree when someone said "Ugh, this is taking forever!". We eventually got out of there after 2 1/2 periods.

I had health 5th period. Today we started depression and suicide, and we had to make a pie-graph of our last 24 hours, coloring each section with how we felt at the time. I took this far too far, ending up with twice as many sections as everyone around me. I had math 6th, and we were told to measure arts of the stairs around the building. Wouldn't you thing the measurements within one building, at least inside, would be exactly the same? It seemed really pointless. After lunch we had to clean up our journals in English for grading. Our teacher would ask us questions about what we'd learn etc. and talk about improvement. Luckily, I didn't get to go today. Phew!

Not much else to talk about. My 2nd ACC account got banned. They also replied to my e-mail, calling my notifications "Constant and unrelenting", which is of course an exaggeration. The ACC ruled are ridiculous. My sister's friend is at my house for the 5th time this week, and we went to Target to get tape because all the pictures on my wall are falling down. Currently they're on the other computer, watching "Beat It"; Alvin And The Chipmunks version(My sister and her friend, not the pictures on my wall). As for music, I've just been flicking through random songs on my iPod. My favorites at the moment are 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins, Panic Switch by Silversun Pickups, and Ain't No Rest For The Wicked by Cage The Elephant. Oh, in the Ain't No Rest music video, the singer is wearing these awesomely-colored skinny jeans. They're like purpey, reddy, marrony...They're awesome.

This weekend, I'm no doubt having my sister's friend round again, and on Sunday Adele and Matt are coming round because it's Brandon's birthday!

Bye,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

purpy?

hehehehehehehehe.

***You forgot about the break-dancing 'Crazy frog' performance by the first graders!!!!! I swear, that was so the hightlight. Or maybe the latin crowd.

Well as much as it is human nature, it doesn't necessarily mean it's right! Because, quite frankly, it's racist. As in, offensive. As in, really really really offensive. And i'm trying to think of a better word than 'offensive'. And you know what-- it's also human nature to stab someone in the gut if they say something mean to you. But we don't because, well, I guess we're more 'developed'. And for the most part we're not cave people.

Why do u go on ACC then if you think it's too uptight? I bet there r other chat websites around.

Alvin and the chipmunks? How funny would it be if they spoofed one of the Killers songs! What would you say if they did though??

"purpy"?

xD

I kno i'm being a little immature.....heh heh.

Naomi said...

Purply. Typos.

Haha, yeah! Though the Latin crowd actually looked like they'd practiced. The crazy frog thing was just...weird. xD

I see that as different. Holding a judgement doesn't make a person racist. Believing those things to be true and saying that allowed is racist. You can't sit there and tell me you never held judgements about me before we were friends, and I can't say I didnt for you. I never said I condoled people saying those things aloud, they're just impossible to control in our heads, but totally possible to verbally control!

Oh, and there's still an urge to stab someone in the gut. It's still human nature, caveman or not.

Because the best friends in the world are on there. And I've nothing better to do.

There are versions on YouTube. I believe, all you need to make a Chpmunks version is Windows Movie Maker. So it isn't hard to do.

OH COME ON, YOU MAKE TYPOS TOO!

Anonymous said...

okay, people make judgements. some of them are true. What you're missing tho is that of when the judgements are false and it might have saved a lot of harm- and done a lot of good- to just have not been prejudice. U don't have to be outright rude to be offensive.

And people still do stab ppl in the gut. But c'mon-- don't tell me it's not wrong!!!

(and all I was saying with the cavepeople is that the cavepeople didn't really think through their actions ahead of time. it's a moot point.)

not gonna say it...not gonna say it...awwww, dammit....

PURPY!

Naomi said...

Most judgements aren't true. But, it's just the way our brain works, I guess. There's no stopping us, even if we know when they're false. We can control what we say, just not what our brains think.

*shrugs* Not really. It's human nature.

Whatever.