BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 8, 2009

'Song Obsessions'

"Song Obsession"



Usually last 1-2 days. It's when you become obsessed with a song and you have the loop button playing that song on your iTunes for hours at a time. At the end of a couple of days it usually wears off.



It can be very annoying to other people, and you constantly get yelled at for singing it, but in the end the enjoyment you get from the song is usually worth it.


Thanks to whoever on urbandictionary.com wrote that. What a great website.



Anyway, I'm sure if you've listened to music at any point in your life, you've had this happen at least once before. Yes? Well, earlier today(In math, if I remember correctly) I was thinking about all the times I've had this...And, well, I thought I didn't have anything better to do, so I'd make a list for whoever actually bothers to read this. This could be awfully long, but it probably won't be. I won't feed you the typical "I love music more than life, I could name another five hundred songs", because it simply isn't true. I'll name all the ones I can think of, though.





(PS, iTunes is being stupid, so this is purely by memory)





Somebody Told Me - The Killers

I must've been...eight years old when this song came out. My unfortunate bubblegum pop phase, that every girl seems to go through, had thankfully ended a few of years earlier, and I'd started getting into the alt. rock, Brit pop type stuff I still listen to now. I was listening to the English "Now That's What I Call Music" CDs. I could never finish the whole thing; Too many songs, not enough of an attention span. Thankfully this was only the 2nd song on the CD right after Vertigo by U2. This was the first song ever that I became obsessed with, honestly, even though it might seem sort of cliche, it being The Killers and all. I would listen to this song continuously, at least for a week, and I still remained slightly obsessed with it until...

Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs

This song seemed to stalk me in 5th grade. I don't know about this country but it was everywhere in the UK. It lasted for a good while. It was the first song I listened to when I got my new iPod I remember, because my dad had put the whole album on and I'd listen to it over and over and over. Ah, Kaiser Chiefs, how I loved you as a 10/11 year old...

When You Were Young - The Killers

Without a doubt the biggest song obsession I've ever had. It lasted like three weeks, at its strongest, and I remember never putting my iPod down. This was, like, early 6th grade. I'd heard it before, I'd heard several Killers songs before, but this was what converted me from "The Killers are my favorite band" to "I'm obsessed with The Killers" if you want to make it all that black-and-white. That was such an amazing time...And although When You Were Young is far from my favorite Killers song, think about how different of a person I'd be without this one song!

Mr. Brightside - The Killers

...Yeah, it was gonna happen at some point here. I'd heard about this song, how it was "Better than When You Were Young". Better than When You Were Young? Like that's possible! But...well, it was for me. I'd heard it once, thinking "This song is really, really good but not too special". And then, by the end of that evening, and a few more listens "Oh my god this is the best song in the world". The magic I found in the chorus never ended, and neither did the times I listened to it on my iPod. It lasted...Er, about a month.

Sam's Town - The Killers

Before you question this, I promise this will not be all-Killers obsessions. I've usually gone on mini-obsessions, listening to a few songs at a time. This was a really, really big obsession at one point, though. I never understood why it got so little attention, I was listening to it so much. Amazing, amazing song. I got over it eventually...But, wow, it must have lasted a month at least("1-2 days?" That's nothing, apparently!)

The Anthem - Good Charlotte

I do wonder why I liked this so much. It appeared on my Pandora account one day, and thought it was pretty good. So, I bought it on iTunes and then the obsession came...It lasted about four days, I believe. Good song. Great intro. Really catchy, apparently

Zero - Smashing Pumpkins

My parents own Mellan Collie And The Infinite Sadness, so I just thought I'd put the album onto my iPod. I'd heard a few songs I loved. This happened at Camp Kieve(A week-long school trip for my grade, back in October), and lasted that week, and oddly, didn't continue into the weekend. Sitting on the unusably-squeaky bed opposite Adele's(Below me) and just listening to that song over and over again. One high point to the week, right?

I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor - Arctic Monkeys

This was right after I got my new iPod. I was actually buying this other Arctic Monkeys song at a time, and this was their most popular. I hadn't heard it in forever, but I still bought it. This lasted about...er, three days I think. And, my iPod kept freezing that whole time which was the cause for this one being cut short.

1985 - Bowling For Soup

I had/have an annoying habit of getting obsessed with pointless pop-punk songs, which I realised once I bought this. I did get a lot of enjoyment out of the lyrics of this song, which was probably what made it last. If it didn't have those lyrics, I don't know if I'd like it as much. Lasted about six days.

The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie

This came from listening to Nirvana's cover of it, and then deciding I might as well see the original...It's weird, but just so good. I can't say I'm a big David Bowie fan other than this...At the time we had a 48 hour power cut, and by the end of it my sister knew nearly all the lyrics.Llasted about three days.

Stacy's Mom - Fountains Of Wayne

I can purely blame this on Adele. It's pointless and stupid...But, yet again, it's just so catchy! Stacy's mom has got it goin' on! At least it gave me and Adele something to talk about for a few days...About five, actually.

Human - The Killers

Yes, they're back! This probably should have gone earlier in this timeline, but oh well. I wasn't too impressed with this song when I first heard it; On the day it first aired, before all the versions were taken from YouTube for copyright violations. But then..Just, wow. The Killers...Ah, they just never get old. It was like those first few plays of Mr Brightside all over again. Lasted about a week and a half.

Let It Be - The Beatles

You can't admit it's not a pretty song! I know, I know you've heard it so many times before but...The Beatles are legends. Their music just never gets old, and I completely adore this song. It was actually a really big obsession, lasting about a week.

Hey There Delilah - Plain White Ts

Don't judge, 'kay? It's catchy, and pretty, and sweet...And, yeah, I look really stereotypical right now. I love it. It lasted two days...Yeah, kinda sad.

Shattered(Turn The Car Around) - O.A.R.

My first real sad song obsession, I guess. I'm a sucker for sad songs, especially in the last couple of months...And, yeah, without meaning to I heard this song on the radio thinking it sounded like a really good song. Buying it and hearing the whiny, sad lyrics to it made it a whole lot more enjoyable to me. Lasted about five days.

And, most recently...

Don't Trust Me - 3Oh!3

*shudders* This is probably worse than Hey There Delilah but I still like it. It may be electro, but it sounds totally mainstream...But, yeah, it's still kinda electro, well sorta. I guess I don't have a real "other than it's catchy" reason for me liking this song. I hope my next obsession will be better, whatever it might be.

Enjoy it? See, I actually had an idea! Well...pathetic, but yeah...Oh! My sister got her hamster today! It's kinda tan, and looks like a big piece of fluff with it's eyes half shut. It's called Lila, and it's not as cute as she believes it is. She calls herself a tomboy, but really she's the type to carry around a Chihuahua in a designer purse. But at least it didn't get stuck in the tubes like I thought it might; It's a big type of hamster. And, I have a Spanish field trip tomorrow. I'll speak about it then.

Bye, love ya.

1 comments:

Thatds said...

Man, I've experienced more song obsessions than I can remember. XP It was interesting to read about yours. Thanks for posting.