BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Apprentice U2s Of Our Generation...Place Your Bets Now!

Hola mi amigos,

^Sorry, just finished watching Beverly Hills Chihuahua on DVD...

To start off with, U2. According to my LA teacher, "the disheveled lads from Dublin", which is pretty accurate. I don't know a whole lot about U2, but I bought their new single(Or new-ish) "Get On Your Boots" the other week. And, let me say, it's freakin' fantastic..Haha. I also believe "Beautiful Day" is one of the prettiest songs ever, and Vertigo is one of my favorite songs too.

Let's face it, these guys rock. I've heard very few people out there who have anything bad to say about this band. Even if you're not a die-hard, I'm sure you'll find at least oe U2 song you'll like. At the moment, they're everywhere. Nearly as everywhere as Bruce Springsteen seems to be.

If you ask a group of people the "best band ever", you'll see U2 popping up a decent ammount. "Best" meaning the most inspirational(Does this band inspire younger music fans?), influential(Can they actually influence current musicians, and make a huge impact?), respected(Are they consistent, do many people like and respect them?), timeless(Music not just being whatever is popular. And a varied fanbase.), talented(Can they make more than 1 good song?), and relavent(It takes serous skill to remain popular in 20 years. I mean, The Rolling Stons can continue writing music until the days they die...Does anyone actually care anymore?). Not necesserily your favorite band. I was on a thread dicussing this a few weeks ago on ACC, Needless to say, if anyone mentioned My Chemical Romance, they would be flamed to death.

But, U2 started out as My Chemical Romance once. Small, with the same respect as My Chemical Romance. Surely, we can't just assume that every modern band is awaful, and that they'll fade away within a few years! A small ammount will still be writing chart-dominating records in 20 years, and will go down in history. Yes, many will "die", but not everyone. Even if you hate all modern music, you know that there will be some good, and long-lasting ones out there. These bands I will refer to as "The Apprentice U2s of Our Generation", based of a Killers interview I once read.

But, the question is now - Which ones?

Coldplay seem like an obvious choice. They're one of the biggest bands around at the moment...To me, I feel there's no doubt this band will remain huge for a long time coming. And, they're unique. They kind of popularised the "piano-pop/rock" thing too...That's the influential right there. Inspirational? Possibly, I bet there's many kids out there as I type playing along to their favorite Coldplay song. Respected? I think so. Timeless? Yep. Their music doesn't stick to what's around now, and they're listened to by a wide age group. Talented? That's hard to deny...They have a multiple selection of hits and good songs. Relevent? Very much so, they're huge! So, not only did they meet the CamoLambo criteria for being a U2 Apprentice, they also seem to be passionate about what they do, and have drive, and determination. I'm sure they'll be around for a long time to come.

The Killers. Hear me out. I'm not trying to be hypocritc about this...Please! Beyond my opinion, just look. Look at their awards and nominations(This alone has its own Wikipedia page!). Hot Fuss alone has sold over 5,000,000 million copies, 2 Brit awards, 6 NME awards, 2 NME awards USA, on top of 71 nominations from well-known award shows and 16 entries into The Top 10 of various Top 100 Charts. They have a huge and varied fanbase, and a can compile a set list of hits alone. Fan or not, it's hard to dney the fact that they'll be around for a long time.

Another one that seems to e gaining a lot of popularity is Kings Of Leon. Their most recent album became huge! I don't know an awful lot about them, but the songs I have heard are the very material of chart-toppers.

The White Stripes will be around for a while...Well, I think they've been going for aroun 10 years now anyway. Already half way there, and they have some great songs, and a great fanbase! And, it has to be said, a very unique sound,

Nickelback. I don't like them too much, and they're at around 15 years anyway...But, i can see them staying.

Muse do have a possiblity. They're really weird, but I can see them staying.

Keane I'm not too sure on...They sound like Coldplay-wannabees for the non-fan, I have to admit.

Um, arctic Monkeys, possibly.

Green Day and Linkin Park have huge fanbases...Greenday have been going for a long time anyway, and they're somehow still popular. And Linkin Park have a chance.

By the way, you may have seen that the went somewhat along the lines of my musical tastes...Truth is, these bands are timeless. Top 100 US charts are packed full of hip-hop and pop-punk...Those will most likely die out within 10 years. These bands can be listened to by any generation.

My money is most definantly on Coldplay.

But, what about you? Who will be around in 20 years? Which bands being played now will your kids listen to one day? Who will be the next U2? Post your comments, tell me what you think!

Until sometime,

0 comments: