BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Twilight Ramble...Well, It Was Gonna Have To Happen Sometime.

Hey guys,



Hmmm, I'm surprised I haven't talked about this before...Like it or hate it, it's "the thing" at the moment so I have to give my opinion of it.



Okay, do I like Twilight? Nope. Is that a surprise to anyone reading? I doubt it. In real life, and particularly online, the Twilight lovers seem to fit into one big grammatically incorrect, emote-overusing, happy-go-lucky stereotype. And in the same way, most of the Twilight haters fit into their own stereotype. As you can probably tell, the typical Twilight obsessive annoys the heck out of me...But, I'll try my best not to judge the people, but the books.

So, I haven't read the books. But, I have read a chapter from all three(Or are there four?) books, because my friend lends me books to read for DEAR at school. Of course I was already familiar with the storyline of the book...I mean, unless you're living under a rock, then who isn't familiar? So, I knew what to expect. But yesterday in Stop 'n' Shop I had a revelation...Mainly, thinking about Edward. Edward is, in simple terms, "Prince Charming" in the book. He's tall, charming, brace, rich, he lives for forever(I think.), he honors Bella above everything else in life...I mean, he even sparkles in the sunlight for crying out loud! But there's one thing about Edward, that Bella seems to just ignore throughout the whole story; He's a vampire. Now, this matters because maybe the whole Twilight series is just a very clever way of sending a message to young people...Edward is a vampire, but he's "perfect". See, "Overlook that one flaw, because he could still be perfect". It's a great message, right? In fact, you can pretty much base the whole Twilight thing around that one idea...Just put in Bella and Jasper and Jacob and whoever else...And...see it? It's ingenious, right?

Aha. Got you there? I don't know if any one's ever seen that angle before. But is it true?

Yeah, right. Unfortunately, I just overlooked the fact that Twilight is written for teenage girls who think this storyline is compelling and romantic. Unfortunately, it is neither of those. Stephenie Meyer, from what I've read, is just an awful writer. And in her writing, it doesn't look like she's "holding back" based on her audience, but that that's genuinely the best of her writing ability. She overuses words like "grimace" repeatedly, to a point where I just want to say "Go buy a Thesaurus, love". I barely read at all, but books I was reading in 4th and 5th grade were better than this...I can't wait in 20 years for girls to be writing little "gothy" romance books, marking Stephenie Meyer as an influence, and hoping to be taken seriously. Ergh.

And then, there's Edward. Okay... a message to the female readers...Girls, get some standards. I'm sure you can all do better in life than fantasizing over a guy who isn't real! Why is everyone so madly in love with Edward? How about, go ask some girls that question, and 90% of their responses will be "Because he's hot!!!". Nope, Edward is not "hot". How can a fictional character be hot? No matter how many times Meyer describes his muscles and golden hair, or whatever she thinks he looks like, it doesn't make him real. Robert Pattinson fangirling I have no problem with...He isn't very attractive in my eyes, but he is at least real. Of course, there's some "super fans" out there how would also mark Edward on his personality an such...Which, all in all, isn't that great either. He. Is. A. Creepy. Stalker. Hasn't anyone else noticed this? But I suppose the line between madly in love and creepy stalker is fine if not nonexistent, so we can't blame the girls about that. But the one person we can blame is, of course, Bella. I think I actually hate Bella more than the rest of the Cullen family, for several reasons. The main one being she's obsessed with Edward, which is why all the girls act this way too. Certainly the whole idea of Twilight is that Edward is the perfect boyfriend, but that idea is constantly repeated throughout the book. Bella, we get it'...Edward's "gorgeous" or whatever. Now, get on with the rest of the book, please. Maybe if she didn't act this way, little girls wouldn't follow.

Another interesting thing I noticed about Bella is, at the beginning of one of the books, she looks in the mirror and critiques her entire appearance...And, not just "My hair looks alright today, oh no there's a pimple on my chin". No no, "Ivory skin, slightly slender, etc.". No one in their right mind looks at themselves in that way, or at least doesn't take the time to find the perfect way to describe their skin and body shape. Maybe Meyer did this to make Bella seem like the average High Schooler, but she's actually pretty perfect, and still pretty whiny(But, who am I to be talking?). I suppose she just annoys me in that way...

*need to tie this up somehow*. Like with all of these phases, it's always the behavior and the attention from the fangirls that's most annoying. Twilight is everywhere...But, what has it done? Teenagers consider this good literature, ruin the term "vampire", flood local Hot Topic stores because they sell a million "Team Whoever" t-shirts, consider themselves goth, buy their boyfriends glittery makeup, and (The worst of all) obsess even more than before over the idea of a perfect boyfriend, which is the last thing we need. This will only lead to disappointment when the only guys they find are...Well, human(In multiple senses).

A Word To Coco's Friends: Don't flame me to death, please?

OTHER STUFF:

-Today marks my One-year-on-ACC-aversary! *goes to find calculator* Hoorah, I've wasted around 9.1 percent of my whole lifetime so far on there. @-@
-My mom is back from England!
-No homework today *does happy dance*
-Today in enrichment we had a talk about "crossing the line" about various behaviors. It was actually alright, except the awkwardness of our guidance councilor being a guy.
-We had a "party" in Engineering, and the punch was absolutely disgusting.
-*2nd happy dance*. MUSE ARE TOURING IN THE AUTUMN! Must. Go. To. Concert.

See ya guys,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

zomg. I love your rant. Twilight needs to like... go die. >.>; anyways..

Yay for no homework. XD

Naomi said...

Haha, thank you!

Yay! And...yay for Muse!

Scarlett said...

I read on FML (if you've ever been there, not the most appropriate site) a girl broke up with her boyfriend and told him that he wasn't enough like Edward and so they couldn't go out!
hahaha poor guy, idiot girl.

Emma said...

Wait Wait Wait Wait!
I'm not going to argue the fact that Twilight is so unbelievably overrated, it makes me want to scream. Meyer really isn't that talented author, it's just a nice idea for a story and stuff. I've read the first 3 books and I think they're good, but not even nearly as good as everyone makes out. The film is decent too.
BUT... I have to argue about what you say about lusting after a fictional character. I personally prefer Jacob to Edward, but don't really lust after anyone in a book. But part of the joy of reading is feeling the emotions and loving the characters. I loved the main guy out of "The Time Traveller's Wife" and obviously like, Ron out of Harry Potter...
x

Naomi said...

Wow...that's just rediculous! PS, my friend Coco made up this conversation the other day that I found amusing...

Boy: I'm breaking up with you, you're not enough like Bella.
Girl: You like Twilight?
Boy: Yes
Girl:...it's over.

I suppose I should fully read the books before giving a complete judgement. But the lusting over Edward is just unbelievabe.