BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 23, 2009

The Apocalypse Is Here!

The apocalypse is here!

Which means don't leave your house, say goodbye to your family and put "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" on repeat - We're all going to die! Why? Because I recognised and liked 2 songs played during lunch today at school...Yes, me - The girl who, in everybody else's eyes, is a hermit when it comes to modern music. Honestly, the music played wasn't the most popular music ever...They played two amazing songs; U2's "Beautiful Day", and Keane's"Everybody's Changing". Both great song, especially Beatufiul Day...Which is very...beautiful? And Keane was just a huge shock, considering no one here has heard of Keane. This certainly was a relief, I haven't heard either of those songs in a while. Although it was annoying...Can't the world shut up for a few minutes to listen to some good music?

Still on the music topic - Things are getting pretty bad around here. I'm actually playing my music out loud, which I don't do to much because my mom always tells me to turn it down really quiet, which is one reason why I love my iPod...So, I've listened to Weezer's "Blue Album" three or four times now. We're on the last song...Which I don't like very much. I need to buy some more CDs, 'cause I'm pretty bored with what I have now. I'll probably put Kaiser Chiefs's "Off With Their Heads" on next. Best. Album. Name. Ever.

Friday Friday Friday...Best day of the week. This week went by super fast, probably because I only had three days of school. This weekend however will be torture. With three days left...I really want this weekend to end now. For once, I want Monday to come. Come on weekend...Come and go, already!

My OCKD is flaring up really badly again. I made my friend jealous today with the news of my General Admission Killers tickets. Which is always...Interesting. We vowed that when we're 16, we'll have saved up some money, and we'll follow the boys on tour! I'm also sure I confused/disturbed some peole today...I was bored last night, and decided to write "Property of Mrs. Brightside" on a school notebook, in green sharpies(sharpies <3).> and the lyrics "Every time you fell and every time you tried, every foolish dream and every compromise, every word you spoke and everything you said, everything you left me rambles in my head..." from Goodnight, Travel Well on the back of my folder. Also, I had a dream featuring The Killers last night. I don't really understand it...Nothing "bad" happened. It was mostly about Dave, because Ronnie and Brandon were talking. I don't know where Mark was, he doesn't normally feature in my dreams. It was like Dave was my Dad or something...So, congrats to Dave for getting the main part in my dream. Normaly Brandon wins that.

This week in Math, we've been doing obsessivly acurate drawings of the buildings we're doing in our Social Studies/Math projects. I'm doing The Colleseum, which is annoying to draw. I already have a headache thanks to that. This project sucks...Other than that, there's not much to say about school. Science was amazingly boring today(We had a sub. Though that's not to say that our normal teacher is very interesting...Though my mind on that subject might change if he likes The Killers mix CD I gave him). The Social Studies project is coming along...Slowly. I'm once again practicing the art of doing as little work as possible to get a decent grade. One thing that I'm good at. LA has been...decent today. We were just doing some stuff on an article about the conflict in Gaza. And our Spanish project is total hell. I am not dressing as Shakespere, or actually working simply because I am English. Or helping to make a Big Ben costume out of pizza boxes...

I'm also slightly annoyed at The Killers right now. Well, not specifically The Killers, but rumours about The Killers...The rumour that the Spaceman video will be released today, to be exact. I came home, expecting to find a super amazingly funny Spaceman music video, and found nothing. Of course, I might be mistaken and it might come out later today, but so ar I am disspointed.

I guess something that I should have added to my list of human hates yesterday, but...

Before coming to update my blog today, I decided to look at ACC, and discovered a thread called "Cullen or Jonas?" made by some n00b girl. Of course, obsessing over The Jonas Brothers is totally out...But that's not what the Cullen fangirls thought. They still seem to be under the impresion that they're the unique ones. And that Jonas lovers are the cool, popular girls. Which, from an outsider who only has a heart only big enough for BRF(Brandon-Richard-Flowers. Remember that abbreviation), is completely false. I guess what I'm saying is, why do people think they are, or try to be, a minority, in terms of likes and dislikes? Any 12 year old who raves about Edward Cullen is clearly not a minority.

The same goes for music. Some people will enter a conversation about rap, and make a speech saying "Guys, I know this is weird...And you'll probably socially reject me from now on because this is so out of the ordinary...But, rap sucks. Live with it. My favorite band is called My Chemical Romance. Now, I know you probably have't heard of them before because they're not very popular. But that's just me, and if I'm too weird for you, then I'll live with it". Seriously, I've heard that sort of speech being made online countless times before.

A lot of the time, we hear the terms "weird" and "random" being thrown around like there's no tomorrow. So, these girls consider themselves so "weird", but when someone comes along who actually has likes and dislikes that are unique, they get made fun of, and the girl who considers herself "weird" will say that the other girl is "weird".

Do these "weird" girls actually know what the words of their personality that they boast so proudly mean? If you look up the term "weird", you'll find that the definition is typically "out of the ordinary". So, if you're just like everyone else...Then why do you consider yourself "weird"? So, you'll randomly shout "Pie!" for no apparent reason, and then giggle like you're retarded. This is what is typically considered the modern-day criteria for being weird...But, if you haven't noticed, everyone does exactly that. These people are typically in the middle, higher-middle, or lower-middle in the middle school hierachy. There are always people who are more socially outcast than the people who consider themselves weird. And it's not like they don't see that, it's always pretty obvious.

So, is being "werid" your ticket to more popularity and coolness? It seems so. Being weird is totally "in". If you like Hollister, love Edward cullen, and are into a lot of poppunk and hiphop music...Then you'll probably be considered to be "just following the trends". But, if you like Hollister, love Edward Cullen, and are into a lot of poppunk and hiphop music...But declare yourself to be "weird", then you're no longer just following what everyone else does, then you're different.

A lot of people like this consider themselves to be immature also. But, if 90% of the grade act the same way, then surely you're not immature, that's normal. And the people who act more maturely than everyone else are considered "normal", but they're actually the ones out of the ordinary - They're more mature than everyone else.

In our lifetime, in particular our middle school lifetime, we've all heard people be stereotyped, ourselves being stereotyped, and self-consciously stereotyping others. And most people don't like stereotypes and say they're simply for soup cans. So, when we see someone suddenly classify him/herself as being "emo", most people will label him/her as being a poser. Surely, constantly going on to people about being weird is no different! But in the eyes of most people, this isn't considered being a poser...But actually, it's exactly the same behavior. It might be because the weird people are the ones who do most of the stereotyping, teasing, and declaring who is and who isn't a "poser" at their stereotype, but it's stupid. I believe that being weird and random is in itself a stereotype. These people are generally the ones that can't be fitted into any other stereotypes(Jock, emo, goth, prep, geek, scene etc), which makes them unique. I've recently come to terms with the fact that, as much as we dislike it, steroetyping and labeling is human nature. It's just a system our brain uses to make deciding who we talk to easier. Even if you tell yourself that you never stereotype, you still always make first judgements of people, like it or not. Being weird, I would say is a stereotype. But those who always declare themselves to be so aren't weird. Being "weird", In my eyes, just means that others consider you different...Not that you consider yourself different. That goes for any stereotype. Anyone who considers themself a certain stereotype will definantly be labeled a poser. I've seriously heard some people declare themselves weird, even if they aren't random, or weird, or anything. Just normal 12 year olds, forgetting what "weird" actually means. Using a word that means "unique" just as everyone else does, to lose their individuality and fit in more.

So, I guess what I'm saying here is...I don't understand why being "weird" is a cool thing at the moment. No one really is weird, especially those who declare themselves to be so, and aren't actualy unique whatsoever. So, don't label yourself to be weird...Be yourself. Some people might consider you weird, but that's their problem. They're the ones pretending to be someone they clearly aren't. And don't classify yourself to be "weird" - You clearly aren't weird at all.

Yeah, peace and love to everyone. Though actually, hate to everyone is more realsitic.

Until tomorrow, readers.

0 comments: