BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Best. Night. Of. My Life. Ever.

Wow...just...wow...oh my god...awesome...insane...incredible...Killer.

Yesterday. Boston, January 26th, The Killers came to the Agganis Arena. It was amazing, in every sense of the word. I knew it would be that way of course, but nonetheless, it was more fun than I'd ever had before in my life. It was...so good, I can't put it into words. I'll never forget it...Ever...ever...I loved every second. It was crazy. I loved it. Amazing.

To express my adoration for last night, I'll do a sort of...story of everything. But trust me, last night was so amazing, that I don't want to repeat the above paragraph much, because it won't do my feelings anywhere near justice. So, this is the best I'll do...But if you're thinking "She doesn't seem too rabid about it". You're wrong. It's just too hard to describe.

Before we start , I'd like to say a couple of slightly related things...

- I tried posting this very story on ACC earlier, and I went idle and the stupid site logged me out. So, I'm partly using this for refference for everyone who's asked me about the concert on ACC!
- Coco, that Killers blog post rocked! I love it!
- I made several people at school today jealous, and for that I apologize. Slightly.
- I do have pictures, but my camera sucks, and they're all very blurry and you can't tell what they are.
- This is the 62th post on this blog. Turn that around - 26. January 26th! Weird, huh?
- This does not mean I will shut up about this any time soon. I'll still rave, and rave about the concert in May!
- I wore my t-shirt to school today!
- Brandon, I love you.
- I'm really tired now, thanks Killers...!
- It was the best night of my life ever...

----------------------------------------

So on the day of the concert, the show was all I could think about all Day(And Age) long. It was crazy. And I loved it. I would no longer be a KCV(Killers Concert Virgin) after that night. It was surreal. If you just stop and think...The best people in the world are close by, you go crazy.

Okay, so we left at about five, got there for seven. My Ipod is broken, so I warmed up to a bit of "Sam's Town" in the car, for two hours. The arena itself is part of Boston University, so there were a lot of college kids around. I knew it was part of Boston University, so when I saw the first Boston University building...I went crazy. It turns out, when you're in that situation, Boston University is never-ending. It's like Pi...(random), and I was just waiting to see a building like "Disney World...of Boston University" come up, it took that long. When we got to the arena, I remember we were on "Bling" and I was nearly crying. The parking lot was right under the arena, so it didn't require much walking...But the weird thing is, it turns out that nobody there, apart from two Victims(Go Victims!) had any Killers t-shirts. I was wearing my maroon Killers t-shirt(Longish story. I would have worn my Victims t-shirt, but my mom got me these maroon Converse that match the t-shirt exactly for Christmas, before she let me join The Victims. Oh, and guess what...Before we leave I ask her "Do I look okay?", as you do if there's a chance of meeting Brandon, and she says "I prefer the ther t-shirt"...Yeah, that's the sort of thing I wanted to hear before we were about to leave. Thanks, mom.) so I stood out a little bit.

There was, of course, Killers merchendise inside. Several t-shirts, a sweatshirt, posters, and...underwear. I got two t-shirts in the end. One(which I'm wearing today, proudly) is dark blue with the Day And Age CD cover on the front, and some of the first tour dates on the back, and a whie t-shirt with a picture of each member of the band in a colored rectangle on the front. I would have bought more, but those two t-shirts alone come to 60 dollars.

So, anyway, we find our seats. And trust me, they're good. we're the row closest to the stage, which made a huge part. We were one of the last rows, but that didn't matter, because you could still see the stage really, really well. We waited around ten minutes, and the warm-up band, M-83 started(M-83, coming soon to an uncool disco near you...) played a bit. They certainly were very talented, and sounded sort of like Depeche Mode...meets a bit of classic rock 'n' roll type thing. It was cool, and I loved the keyboardist/singer's voice. After 10 minutes, all their songs sounded the same though. But talented or not, it must be hard doing what they're doing. They were playing for about 5% of the audience, as very few people had arrived yet, not moving anyone at all. No screams, cheers, dancing, or anything. That's tough.

After that, there was another twenty or so minutes nbefore The Killers came on. I spent the time removing pictures from my camera and stuff...Getting anxious. And staring at the set. It was interesting actually...I screamed when the "K" synthesizer came out. They had rolled out a black and white tiger rug for the floor. And there were two "wings" on either side, so Brandon could wander closer to me. There was also a sparkly piano, and loads of palm trees everywhere...The theme was rainforest/tropical island, from what I could tell. I was on Mark's side, and I could see four or five bass guitars lined up. And then they came. They certainly came! Everyone screams, and stands up, and you see each member of the band run to their position on the stage. It's weird, more than anything else. You see YouTube videos of these guys everyday...And then they're actually there. I loved it, but it was insane.

They didn't give out pamphlets or anything for the show, so I can't remember the exact order, but we'll see how my memory does...

They opened with "Spaceman". 2nd best...Human would have been heaven, but stilll...HOORAH! Obviously, it's a little weird dancing with your parents right there, so it took me a while to get into it(But I was stuck with "the noose bleeds", who only knew half the songs, and weren't dancing. I looked odd). But I was singing the whole way through - Every word. Spaceman is definantly my favorite Killers song to play live, so it was a fantastic start to the evening.

The costumes were great! They were, basically, wearing exactly as they did in the "Human" music video, except Brandon's shirt was black, not white, with a black waist coat over that you could barely see. He did have his feathery jacket on him, but took it off during the 2nd song.

And also, the technical "stuff" of the evening was absolutely fantastic. There was a giant screen/backdrop, which played some amazing pictures...Like jumping bass amps during "Human". There was a bubble mchine, a confetti machine, a smoke machine...And a machine at the end that sent sparks into the air. The sound quality was absolutely perfection the whole way through, and there were plenty pof flashing lights and spot lights. This was a fantastic job on behalf The Agganis Arena, it was amazing!

The next song was "Losing Touch". Honestly, I would have preffered it later on in the singlist, but...Amazing. True darkness. Rock on(By the way, just as I was writitng that sentence, there was a call cancelling school tomorrow!) I recall Brandon saying something after that, along the lines of "Welcome to the show, and thanks to M-83". It was amazing to heare his voice!

From "Hot Fuss", they did Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, Somebody Told Me, Smile Like You Mean it, Mr. Brightside, and All These Things That I've Done. Jenny came 2nd to last of all the songs. Usually, The Killers do a 3-song encore, which would mean Jenny was the last song, and I was annoyed that they hadn't done When You Were Young...But we were lucky and got a 4-song encore! Jenny was a great, but everyone(Band and audience) were tired at that point. But great job, and I love it when Brandon screams! He also kept shouting "BOSTON! BOSTON!", which was very sweet of him. Somebody Told Me was one of the first songs of the night...And, understandably, very impressive. Brandon swirled his fingers during the "just rushing around" line, with some vocal improvisation and foot stomping. This was probably my favorite of his "moves" of the night! Smile Like You Mean It came directly after Somebody Told Me, and this was when I truly got "into it" full force. Dave's solo peformance was amazing! All These Things That I've Done was the last song before the encore...And my legs hurt quite a lot at that time. Still, I danced. During the back screen, the words "Soul" and "Soldier" came up, and Brandon waved his microphone stand out to the audience, as if he was about to drop the stand to the crowd. But instead, loads and loads of confetti fell down from the ceiling! Mr. Brightside was the crowd favorite, understandably. The whole stage got dropped to a fiery red color, lights everywhere, me dancing like crazy...Best time of my life.



From Sam's Town, they performed Sam's Town, Bling, When You were Young, Read My Mind, For Reasons Unknown, and Bones. I like that mentality...Sam's Town got way worse reviews than Hot Fuss, so Brandon decides to play more songs from Sam's Town than from Hot Fuss. Cute! Sam's Town was, unfortunatly, a low point of the evening. It was a softer version, which for a fan is very beautiful, but if you're only there for a few hits, was boring. It was beautiful though...Branfdon and his sparkly piano. Bling was an unusal decision, being the least-known song of the night. No one ever pays any attention to this song, but its lyrics are definantly the best lyrics Brandon has ever done. This song is powerful enough to be put up between hits, and it was great! For Reasons Unknown was good, but because Brandon was playing bass he couldn't put much attention into his singing...But I got all freaked out at that point(Which I was doing during regular intervals of the show), and Bones was a great peformance also! Read My Mind was used somewhere in the middle, my mom's favorite, and they were playing the oh-so-amazing music video in the back screen in the background! Of course, When You Were Young was one of the best. It had to be there, it was simply amazing. Last song of the night, and going out with a bang. This was when the use of the fire spark machine came in handy during the end - It certainly was a sight!

Oddly, one of my favorite performances of the night was of Shadowplay. They gave it a sort of dancy, happy theme to a very dark song. It was lovely...With loads of flashing green lights everywhere! This was also my Dad's favorite.

Then they did everything from Day And Age, except A Dustland Fairytale(Boo hoo) and Goodnight, Travel Well. Human was great performance, and, as I vowed on The Victims, I copied Brandon when he did the "punch", and the "salute to devotion". This Is Your Life was a decent performance, but followed by I Can't Stay, which was quite honestly breathtaking. Live sax players rock out loud. The World We Live In was used as the first encore song, with a spinning Earth in the backdrop screen, and plenty of dancing. Neon Tiger was another favorite performance...Incredible. Incredible. Incredible. Ronnie started teasing us with his drumming!They brought down a black and white tiger backdrop for this!!! And Joy Ride was also very, very, very good...Breathaking. Astounding.

So, that was the songs. That dragged on a little bit, but I just wanted to give a rough representation of every song. During the encore, I got to edge closer to the stage because the men next to me had left already(Why on Earth do you go to a concert if you don't stay for all the songs?) which was great. The bubble machine was featured several times, and it really sent people crazy. At the end, Brandon threw some flowers, Ronnie threw some drumsticks, and Dave threw his pick.

As far as each member of the band goes, they all did great. Best of all, Mark was actually jumping up and down! If you know Mark...You'll know he never dances, he's too cool for that. Dave also wandered across the stage a lot. Ronnie was of course, a showman. The funniest part of the show was before Neon Tiger, he ran to the front so some of the crowd could touch his hands, and they pulled him in! Which led Brandon to say "Can we have our drummer back, please?" which was hilarious! He seriously is a great performer.

And Brandon did some talking with the crowd, as well as dropping some moves! And yes e was very, very cute yesterday. I was going crazy! I loved him! I wanted to...Er, yeah, I won't say. Anyway, the various things I can remember him saying were -

"Sing me a lullaby!"
"BOSTON BOSTON!"
"Come on!"
"Can we have our drummer back, please?"
"How's everyone doing tonight?"
"It's great to see so many people here tonight! Our family's getting bigger - it's a beautiful thing"
"Thanks to M-83, they're a great band!"
"Beautiful voices here in Boston!"
"Oh have you ever seen the lights? I have!"
"The next song is about all the good things in like. We're from Las Vegas, but for you it's about snow cones, or the first time you went skiing. But I don't think anyone wants to think about that right now, because it's so cold!"

And no throat problems!

So, great night? After watching a bit of the unpacking, we wandered around the arena to find where the band was coming out. We saw the group of buses, and there were about twenty other people there(A few had met the band before). So I whipped out my copy mof Day And Age and Sharpie and waited. There was one guy there who, it seems his soul purpose of the night was to see how many security guards would beat him up that night...He did the moonwalk, pretended to be press, shouted for Brandon Flowers, teased the guards...it was funny, but stupid. All that did was make the security guards more eager to turn us away. Anyway, I was the youngest person waiting, and I heard a group of girls say "Cute!". Followed by...A girl holding a flower she caught from being in the floor, say to me "Do you want this flower?" YES!!!!! A flower...that Brandon Flowers touched - A "Brandon Flowers flower"! Heck, yeah! I was happy, sure. Then, a man and girl came out(Family of a roadie, I'm guessing) and just gave me his back stage pass! Of course, it didn't work, but...I have a backstage pass!!! Once again, heck yeah! And then another girl thought I would be upset to be turned down(Which I was, sort of) offered me another flower!

That above paragraph was heaven. In the end, after an hour of waiting, the security guards told us to go away because the band ahd left, and it was too cold for them. Sure I was dissapointed, but I don't blame them. They're not used it. I came out with two t-shirts, two Brandon Flowers Flowers, and a backstage pass... How could I be upset? I did plenty of boasting and all that...And my mom is now comfortable with the idea of trying to meet them in May, so it's all good!

My parents dragged me away and we got back in the early hours of the morning...I'm tired, but it was so worth it. There's a review on The Boston Globe website if this point wasn't good enough for ya...

So...Best night of my life. This writing was extremely rushed, so I'll add to it later. But God...it was heaven on Earth. A night never to forget.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg you get to meet them later?
Lucky. xD

Sounds really fun! 8D

Naomi said...

Well, I'll try to meet them, in May!

Julia said...

I' ll say again, but that' s the truth: You Are Lucky !!!!!

Coco Juniper said...

:D

falcon boy said...

sonds fun

Lycoris said...

wait, wait, wait. What day was this?
And I may go with you to a concert one day, if I ever get my money back and if I can find an open day. "Brandon Flowers flowers" Heh.